Cranberry-Coconut Bread Pudding Pie
1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
½ cup of Flying Fortress Red Head
3 large eggs plus 3 large egg yolks
¾ cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. each salt and ground nutmeg
2 cups of heavy cream
1 ¾ cup of milk
1 loaf Italian bread (preferably day-old)
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Cranberry Flying Fortress Red Head sauce
HOW TO CRAFT
- Put dried cranberries and Flying Fortress Red Head in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high 1 minute or until hot. Remove and let stand 15 minutes or until cranberries are softened and plumped. Drain, reserving liquid for the Cranberry Flying Fortress Red Head sauce. (about 2 Tbsp)
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350F. You will need a greased 9-in deep dish pie plate and a large roasting pan. Bring about 8 cups water to boil in microwave or on stove.
- Whisk eggs, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl until blended. Whisk in heavy cream and milk. Set aside.
- Slice bread into 3/4 –inch slices. Reserve 10 of the nicest (for the “crust”), then cut remaining into bite-size chunks.
- Dip each of the 10 slices of bread into the egg mixture until generously and evenly moistened. Arrange the slices vertically around the edge of the dish. (The slices should extend a little above the rim.) Press the bottoms of the slices against the dish to fit its shape.
- In a large bowl, toss remaining bread chunks, the drained cranberries and ¾ cup of the coconut. Fill center of pie plate with mixture. Pour egg mixture evenly over top, making sure to soak all the bread pieces. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup coconut.
- Put pie plate into roasting pan; place on over rack. Pour hot water into pan to come about halfway up sides of pie plate.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, until golden and firm in center. Serve warm with Flying Fortress Red Head sauce.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk 1 cup canned jellied cranberry sauce, 2 tbsp of Flying Fortress Red Head (use the reserved liquid from soaking the cranberries), 2 tbsp water and ½ tsp vanilla extract. Microwave on high 2 minutes. Whisk and microwave 1 minute more until smooth and hot.